User Tools

Site Tools


meetings:2013-09-08

September 8, 2013

Present:

Meet and greet

Agenda item 1

(Travis) Discussion on application to receive free Google Fiber for 10 years. Proposal to create sub-committee with action item to fill out application by deadline September 30.

Agenda item 2

(Beth) Proposal to schedule a Labor Holiday for September 28-29 where each resident member of the coop is required to do 4 hours and each associate member is required to do 2 hours of labor.

Agenda item 3

(Beth) Discussion about moving dinner time back one hour to accomodate working cooks. Would this make it easier for anyone to cook?

New business

September 8, 2013

Present: · Current Members who were present: Travis, Leslie, Beth, Donny, Erin, Nolan, Victor, Paul, Cynthia, Molly, Jessie M., Megan, William

Meet and greet

First Meeting:

· Molly Kendrick, freelance writer (2 steady gigs), just moved here from Maryland, the college she went to Twin Oaks where she hung out a lot.

o Cooking and community are what brought her to La Reunion.

o Interested in a room, she wants to have a roommate. She has a room mate right now who might be interested.

o No dietary restrictions.

o She’s on month to month leases and only needs to give 30 days notice.

o No pets.

o Email: msmollybk@gmail.com

Second Meeting:

· Marilyn Vache´

· Mvache@austin.rr.com

· APPROVED!

· Leigh Peca

· Leigh.peca@gmail

· APPROVED!

· Leslie Riddel

· lesliesjewelry@yahoo.com

· APPROVED!

Officer Reports

Maintenance

All water problems in Andy and Z’s place have been fixed, they have a great new floor. If anyone is in need of flooring, check out what they did. It’s plastic flooring, looks like wood, easy to put in, very affordable.

We do have a problem in 207. She called code enforcement on us for something that wasn’t actually a problem, but they dinged us for not having hard pipe in our furnaces. I’ve been in contact with the city to see if we need a permit, if we do, we need to bring the city in for inspection. I have a plumber who can do it if we don’t need a permit.

Cynthia’s got a great plumber, Victor would love to talk to them, Cynthia will talk to the plumber tonight.

Exciting development! Z took it upon herself to learn how to stake out drains and helped Leslie and Travis. We’re trying to get a long term solution for the drains.

We got Claude’s door properly sealed.

Donny: How has the fixer position been working?

It’s going great! William was already working more than 10 hours so this is formalizing what he was already doing. He’s done work on numerous projects this week (stoves, code enforcement, sealing doors). Victor hopes to use the position more for energy efficiency-type improvements.

Menu Planner

Stressed/guilty because she is unable to better accommodate people. There is labor waste, 3 officer positions is too many, whether the officers agree with me or not I don’t know yet, but will find out! Feels like we could be doing a lot better.

If I could get everyone’s input on how we could improve the food program. Next Sunday I’m going to move it into the agenda to talk about the food program, I think it’s the best way to get people’s input.

Menu This Week

Monday: Veggie and chicken kabobs, soba noodle salad

Wed: Pot Pie, strawberry walnut spinach salad

Fri: Awesome Surprisey Goodness

Please send feedback to Leslie about the food program!

Steward

Wooten Neighborhood Meeting, I want to announce the Google Fiber thing there. Anyone want to come yet? Leslie says yes!

Mike hasn’t been arrested yet.

207 eviction papers have been filed with the city, court hearing is on Monday the 16th.

Grounds

I need to make plans with my friend who’s using the welding machine to further the bike rack project.

Basil is EVERYWHERE.

Labor Czar

We have the check-off sheets now, this was a trial week, please try and check ‘em if you can! Otherwise I spend my labor time hunting you down instead of on other things.

There has been a lot of talk about us not utilizing our labor effectively, and I want to address that.

I did a lot of research and talked a lot with Hannah, and I found out that most of the people that we thought should be doing labor, aren’t contractually obligated yet. The people who are and are able, are doing labor.

I also want to say, please don’t no-show someone when it’s there first time to do it. The proper response is to talk to that person. Make sure they understand their labor requirements, the severity of not showing up.

If you don’t do this, it outsources the conversation to me, and I know less about the situation; tracking down all the facts and figuring out what happened is decent amount of time, and I could be using it for other good labor-y things.

Be grateful to your friends who do do labor. They’re not going to want to do it if they’re just told what they’re doing wrong.

Cynthia: I think this place could use a sweeping up to look nicer.

The problem with courtyard cleaning is it competes with commons cleaning; this problem will be solved very soon, we really only need 4 more people to solve that problem.

Donny thanks Beth for researching everything with regards to when labor starts; it is not after someone is accepted, it is after they sign a contract.

Tech Update

We have cameras and they are working. Ryan got them up and running. We’re going to figure out how to get the video and archive the video footage.

Crowd funding site! I’m pretty closed to having that launched; we just need a bank account. We will have multiple pages where people can give us money for multiple projects.

Straw pole: is anyone opposed to me fund-raising for mesh wireless? (If I can’t fundraise, I can’t do my job.)

No one is opposed.

Travis: We have already approved the idea of the mesh network. I think because we’ve approved the mesh network, we’d approve fundraising for wireless.

(Travis) Discussion on application to receive free Google Fiber for 10 years. Proposal to create sub-committee with action item to fill out application by deadline September 30.

(Travis) Discussion on application to receive free Google Fiber for 10 years. Proposal to create sub-committee with action item to fill out application by deadline September 30.

Google has decided to bring fiber-optic (super fast) internet to Austin. They are working with the city to identify 100 locations of public institutions and non-profits. The City of Austin has passed a resolution where you can apply for free Google Fiber for 10 years. This provides a free wireless hotspot with the goal to create some sort of cyber café, where we would have a few computers and people could come check their email.

The application is 6 or 7 pages, a lot of crazy questions, I wanted to see if anyone wanted to create a sub-committee where we would come together and finish the idea. The deadline is Sept. 30th.

We don’t know how much it costs.

If we’re not chosen, we’re not sure how much Google Fiber would cost.

Something to consider is how much do we want to open up our commons space?

Donny: If there are any CHEA questions, ask the CHEA board!

Who wants to be on the committee to help out with the application?

Leslie

Nolan

Travis

Maybe Wednesday after the membership meeting we could hash it out? Yes? Great.

(Beth) Proposal to schedule a Labor Holiday for September 28-29 where each resident member of the coop is required to do 4 hours and each associate member is required to do 2 hours of labor.

(Beth) Proposal to schedule a Labor Holiday for September 28-29 where each resident member of the coop is required to do 4 hours and each associate member is required to do 2 hours of labor.

It’s a way to get big projects done that require a lot of manpower.

I’m taking any suggestions that y’all have for projects. The weekend before we’ll vote on what we want to do.

What about people who work on weekends?

Beth is happy to work with you, please communicate with her. We can totally do prep labor, or wrap up labor on Monday.

Motion: On the weekend of September 28th we have labor holiday where resident members do 4 hours of labor and associates do 2.

Yes: 12

No: 1

Abstain: 0

Motion passes!

(Beth) Discussion about moving dinner time back one hour to accomodate working cooks. Would this make it easier for anyone to cook?

I’m having trouble getting reliable cooks. If we have dinner at 8 pm dinner cut-off it would open up our pool of cooks, people get off work at 5 could cook.

At Sasona 8 pm is the latest dinner can be served, but it can totally be served before then. That’s a possibility.

Some people like to have a predictable time, don’t want a time window of 5-8.

Flexibility is important. 7 pm is what’s been working for us. We could say the window cannot be earlier than 6.

The later dinner is, the later dinner clean up is, we need to note/discuss that.

Flexing from 1 day of the week to the next, have an email go out saying dinner’s ready, some people don’t check their email regularly.

A bell is a possible solution to the alerting people who don’t check their email.

There’s a kitchen meeting next weekend, this was a great pre-discussion.

New business

William: Don’t overload the washing machine! We only have one, and if we keep overloading it it’s going to break.

Erin: Here’s my fundraising proposal! I hope to bring it to vote at next week's meeting. FYI Nolan’s crowdfunding site is an integral part of this project! With our combined skills in technology and marketing, we will be instoppable!!!!

I propose we fundraise for 2 things: Gates and Air Conditioners.

Here are some questions to ponder and discuss:

How much will it cost?

Gates: $3,947 (estimate acquired by Donny, let me know if you want to look at the documentation!)

Air Conditioning: $48,600

Air Conditioning Rationale:

18 full units Victor says replacing 1 costs $2,700

18 New AC Units x $2,700= $48,600

Why should we fundraise for just these 2 things?

1. Members have gone out of their way to get estimates. 2. They were in the top 5 concerns on the fundraising survey 3. They ranked highly on the maintenance survey under the following categories:

1. Prevent harm to humans (90%)

2. Environmental Impact (45%)

3. Opportunity cost of inaction (65%)

4. These are 2 things that we can really “sell.” Protecting people and keeping them alive are 2 compelling arguments.

Weren't there other things ranked highly too?

1. Yup. Namely accessibility, wiring fire hazards, and fixing the laundry room.

· Victor assures us that the wiring is no longer hazardous.

· Fixing just the floor in the laundry room is $11,000, and this is harder to sell.

· We have great grant-writing possibility for accessibility projects, and the people who have the skills and drive to get them done.

How will we decide when we spend the money and which priority will come first?

That is the next hurdle, and I will present a separate proposal at a meeting to come.

Motion to Round Robin.

meetings/2013-09-08.txt · Last modified: 2017/06/28 18:06 (external edit)